Monday, March 30, 2009

Parenting

I have come to the conclusion that parenting is not for cowards (Thank you Dr. Dobson) nor is it for the experts. My Father In-law always tells me "people don't know what you think they know." This is so true. My wife and I have taken Parenting Classes, and read Parenting books and still we struggle with Parenting. Am I the only one that has this problem? Now if your children are compliant (where do those children live?) and they just lay there in their beds and wait for you to wake them in the morning, then this is not for you. BUT, if you are like the rest of us who have "active children" read on.

Parenting is a series of choices that don't always work out. Have you ever tried to have devotions while your toddler is screaming? Kind of takes the fun out of it. Or how about when your son is singing opera (at the top of his lungs) as he is running through the living room. Now, sometimes there are occasions when my children are calm and I begin to feel their foreheads and wonder if they are sick! I sometimes feel like Bill Cosby as I hold the yardstick and exclaim "the beatings will now begin!" Just kidding I don't use a yardstick on my children, but when I'm frustrated the idea has crossed my mind. Here is the point behind what I am saying.

I am not a perfect parent because I was never a perfect child. I don't have perfect children because they personify the things about me I wish to forget. I have given up in the idea of perfect children, but I would settle for compliant though.

Thank God that He does not expect me to be perfect. Because of this I will choose to accept my children for who they are, and love them because they are mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment