Friday, October 30, 2009

Redeeming a Holiday


I want to start by saying that I do not believe that Halloween is beyond redeeming. Let me give you some background.

When we were kids we were not allowed to go trick or treating. It was kind of understood that we just didn't do it. This was during the time where people were reported to have put razor blades in apples, and drugs in candy to kill little kids. Not sure if these were urban legends, but it sure kept us from going trick or treating. We had the parties at church, but it still seemed like we were missing something. So one year we went trick or treating, without Dad's knowledge. It kind of seemed empty, and real shallow. We were not missing much. When I was in Bible College I was influenced by many well meaning people how "evil" it was, but I was taught how to redeem the holiday. I remember even preaching against Halloween in the 2nd church where we were Youth Pastors talk about stupid! Not because it wasn't bad, but because it wasn't my conviction; secondly there was another family in the church that was having a party at their house. They even gave me some candy! Here is what I believe.

Halloween is like any other thing in America it is an opportunity to share what we as Christians believe. Instead of cursing the darkness, let's light a candle. How about even opening your door to neighborhood kids and blessing them in Jesus name. Happy redeeming!

No comments:

Post a Comment