Tuesday, October 27, 2009

For Conscience Sake

I was reading Romans 14 this morning and it occurred to me that we read this passage of scripture but we tend not to follow it in our relationships.

Let's be honest for a moment. There are all areas of our lives that we feel strongly. Sometimes these areas are described as preference. My preference is not your preference, and depending on the day it is my preference changes. As a matter of fact my preferences have changed over the years. But let me ask you a question? Do we really want to be disagreeable over preferences? If we are not careful we will alienate people close to us because we confuse our preferences with principles found in the Word of God. Whether I eat meat or don't eat meat should not be the litmus test as to whether you think I am spiritual. The Kingdom of God is not about meat or drink, but about righteousness, peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost. Let's not devour one another over our preferences. One final thought.

The Bible makes it clear that we should not do anything that would cause another person to stumble. It seems as though we can enjoy our preferences as long as we are not causing others to stumble. Let me challenge you to remember your preferences must not be confused with the principles found in the Word of God. We should love one another for conscience sake.

No comments:

Post a Comment