Monday, October 12, 2009

Just Play the Game

This past Saturday. I went to my son's football game and realized that we were need of people to hold the "chains" and the "down markers" and of course someone to help referee. Then the coach turned to me and asked me to be the referee. I asked what was involved and he said that it was simple, all I had to do was make sure there were no penalties. Oh and did I mention that I was not supplied a whistle? At this point you are probably thinking about all the referee jokes you have heard and have told. Please refrain from that, as I share with you some things that I learned.
  • I learned that being a referee is a lot easier if there are rules
  • Being a referee is done best when you know the boundaries
  • Refereeing is a job that requires your undivided attention
I knew the basics of the game, but did not have a copy of the rules that were related to Grid Kid Football. It was interesting to note that there were some rules that we had that the other team didn't follow. I knew the boundaries but I wasn't sure that the players knew them, and even though I was watching intently I missed some penalties.

Okay John what is your point? Refereeing is a lot like life, it is more easily enjoyed when you know how to play the game. In life there will be a lot of times we don't know what we are doing, it is at those times we need to look at the playbook, and ask the coach what to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment