Friday, May 15, 2009

What Youth Ministry Taught Me About Life

From 1991 to 2004 I was a Youth Pastor or worked with Youth in some way in the churches we served. This was most rewarding to serve the Body of Christ this way. Here are some things I learned about life along the way.

  • Don't take yourself too seriously (There was a time that I told one young man "Bubba" if he didn't sit down I would grab him by the ankles and shake him until the change fell out of his pocket. I did, but he still didn't listen to me!)
  • Don't embarrass young people in front of their friends (I remember when I was not going to let this young person back talk me, and I proceeded to say some very hurtful things about him. That day I not only lost the argument I lost his respect.)
  • Don't try and be a hero ( In one of the churches we served in the Pastor resigned under questionable circumstances. We had planned on taking the young people to a Youth Conference in Tennessee, we should have canceled the trip and left the church after the Pastor's resignation. We tried to be the hero when we should have left the church sooner.)
  • Don't offer your opinion unless it is asked for ( In one church we served at there was a young girl, she was 15 and she was "dating" a 19 year old. I told her Mother that was ridiculous, and she didn't appreciate that. The truth was the parents had encouraged this relationship. Since then I keep my mouth shut.)
If you ask my wife about when we first started in Youth Ministry she will tell you that I have learned a lot. I wish I could tell you that I learned this from someone else's mistakes, but they were my mistakes.

Here is my thought for today, learn from your mistakes and share your wisdom with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment