Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Very Controversial Topic

I have intentionally refrained from stating my personal opinions about Christians and drinking until others expressed their opinions, so here it goes.

Let me go on record that I believe it is a poor witness for Christians to drink alcohol. The Bible talks about getting drunk, but the only way not to get drunk is don't drink! I know I sound old fashioned, but it is true. In our modern day church we have given our approval to things that used to be taboo. At the risk of sounding legalistic, we must not be a stumbling block to other believers.

Now, I know that many will disagree with me; but I am okay with that. I am not trying to "win anyone over to my side". I know what I believe, and I will stick to my convictions.

I think it is high time for Christians to be different from the rest of the people that we live next to. Paul stated that everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Let us not use our liberty in Christ for a license to sin.

1 comment:

  1. Sad to say, as the "church" becomes more worldly, these obvious morals become more "controversial". When I was young in the faith, the Spirit of God spoke clearly to me concerning this. He simply asked, "What need do you have for this?" End of discussion...I have since learned that while the Scriptures may seem be unclear on this matter, the greater issue is as you allude to, loving our neighbor above ourselves[Rom 13:10]. Romans 13-14 is not a license to fulfill my own selfish desires, but as Paul clearly states in Rom 13:14, to "put on the Lord Jesus, and make no provision for the flesh". True Christianity is NOT about my freedom, or rights, but becoming the bondservants of the Lord Jesus. Paul was expanding the idea the Lord Himself said would mark true disciples, "Deny self, take up your cross and follow me." It is NOT legalism but love. Legalism is properly defined as a person trusting what they do or don't do to earn justification. Love is what you do when you have been justified freely by God's grace...sharing in the sufferings and struggles of others doesn't leave much room for pleasing self. When Paul said "everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial," he was not speaking from the self point of view[permissible for ME, beneficial for ME]; but, rather, what is beneficial for the edifying of others[LOVE]..Think about it carefully! This is bigger than one specific issue, but concerns the whole of discipleship. Your on point, John...keep fighting! GUBE

    ReplyDelete