Monday, April 13, 2009

Drinking

Okay, this post promises to be controversial. But, I want to hear from you. So here it goes.

What do you think about the common practice of Christians drinking alcohol? Is it acceptable these days, or is it forbidden? Let me give you my perspective.

Personally I think it is wrong for me to drink alcohol. First, I am a Christian and I don't want to bring confusion to those who are watching my life and secondly I have a responsibility to uphold as a leader in our community. Let me give you some reference lest I seem like I am legalistic.

I am one of five children, and I have had a front row seat to alcohol abuse. Although my Dad was a Christian he was an alcoholic for some time in our family. My father was a different person when he drank, he was mean, abusive to my Mother and in general not a nice guy to be around. I don't think this is the way he saw himself when he was drinking, but nevertheless this is how I saw him. I remember seeing my Dad who was a strong man lying in a bed emaciated from the years of abuse as disease ravaged his body. My Dad was dying of cirrhosis of the liver, I was only 12 years old. My Dad who was once strong was pleading with me to not leave his side, he was afraid that he was going to die alone. My Dad did not die, because God healed him his body, and saved his life. I remember Dad having big strong hands, and that from the disease his palms were red. This is what Dad called a reminder to him of God's healing touch. Dad never drank from that time forward, and he lived another 19 years. Dad even got to see me graduate with my Bachelor's Degree and my Master's Degree.

So I have seen firsthand what alcohol can do to a family, and the pain that abuse of alcohol can bring. This is why I have made a choice not to drink and I encourage my children that drinking alcohol is not an acceptable behavior. This is my opinion, what about you? How do you feel about Christians drinking alcohol, I would like to hear your opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment