Monday, January 3, 2011

Deal or Intimacy?

This morning I was reading the account of Jacob at Bethel (first time). This was when he was on his way to Uncle Laban's house. He stopped at Luz and saw the angels of the Lord descending and ascending in that place. He said surely this is the house of the Lord, and that is why he named it Bethel. God confirmed to Jacob the covenant that He had established with Abraham and Isaac. Jacob has this experience and then he builds an altar. Then he does the craziest thing, he makes a deal with God! In verses 20 and 21 of Genesis he made conditions for the deal with God. Here they are:
1. If God will be with me and protect me on this journey
2. If He will provide me with food and clothing
3. If I return safely to my father's house

Then the Lord will certainly be my God. Funny thing is that if you have a relationship with the true and living God, He promises to take care of these things. Jacob settled for a deal and not a relationship (that would come in Gen 35). Seek to know God in a deep way and He will take care of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment